Advertising - What do you do?

Aug 24, 2009
UK
I've recently read a few interesting business books that all individually have there own different viewpoint on how you should advertise your business.

This got me thinking.... you hear about all the ways you 'should' do it, but what do you 'actually' do?

Advertising budgets are different for everyone so do you put your capital into getting word out or are you smarter witrh your money?

It'll be interesting to see some responses.

May 20, 2009
UK
Google + other search engines (we pay for our SEO)
Independant directories
Mobile news magazine (we feature regular in this publication)
Jockey (we sponsor a leading conditional national hunt jockey)

Thats about it really :)

Mar 4, 2009
UK
I've recently read a few interesting business books that all individually have there own different viewpoint on how you should advertise your business.

This got me thinking.... you hear about all the ways you 'should' do it, but what do you 'actually' do?

Advertising budgets are different for everyone so do you put your capital into getting word out or are you smarter witrh your money?

It'll be interesting to see some responses.

I use this forum, Twitter, Linkedin, Gumtree, Freelance sites and another forum which is more of a marketing based site. I believe the right place to advertise your business is the one you've identified as having the best exposure to your target demographic.

Aug 24, 2009
UK
All sound good ways of getting word out about your business.

Does anyone else use traditional methods anymore? - magazine, yellow pages...

Mar 4, 2009
UK
I probably will, depending their piotential reach. With magazines, probably look at targetting webdesign magazines for my live chat support service.

Dec 12, 2011
UK
Dale

I am a immense belever in making sure your advertising pays , we lot aint mark & spencer so "establishing a brand " is not on the rader ,. we need cold hard conversions ..

Early on i made the decision to buy loads of urls of a similiar nature , some have never been allowed on google with a no robot.txt .so if i place an ad i can tell exactly ..and mean EXACTLY how many visitors it has brought (as i use a unique and virgin url ) and how much that has converted into cold hard cash ........ in the good old days when we were spending money to write off tax :) I spent tens of thousands of pounds on magazine advertising ...all the magazines to my mind were aiming at our target markets ... not one of those ads ever paid for itself .. seriiously .. i was shocked , not even one !
came close ,any form of "paper" advertising is a total waste of space in my opinion for an online business, you get lost in amongst literally hundreds of other ads , and people just dont then go and type the url in it seems. I am talking £200 adverts bringing in 6 visitors ! and zero conversions from major mags.

In the same vein , very few online ads have ever paid for itself ... all we were doing was increasing turnover as they did bring something but never enough profit from the increased business to actaully make a profit in the end

I has some mild successes with signing people up to be an affilaite for our products , but thats died off now

Google adwords might work for you depending on the priceing on keywords

Gumtree/groupon/ deals will keep you busy with low margin turnover i guess if you can convince them to take you on

Gumtree free adverts /facebook viral / twitter WORKS ! but its all down to your information , and product if people want to spread your info if they think its of intrest to friends .. if its funny people will spread but you need LOTS LOTS lots ..like hundreds of thosuands of shares to bring in any real cash ..but these are free ! we have had some mild successes which shows the potential but it hasnt as of yet brouight in any real big numbers of visitors ... we havent tried facebook paid ads yet.

Press releases and product placement ( gifts to TV shows ) and getting free write ups all are great as they pretty much bring something for nothing , we had a huge spike in visitors and sales follwoing one of our products appearing on top gear and russell brands show ... but its not really repeatable , it brings spikes for a few days and then thats it

If i was you id put your chequebook away and concentrate on free stuff , its pays its way as its FREE :)

Over the years i can think of only ONE advert that has ever paid for itself , and it REALLY REALLY helped build the business for about a year , for a 50 quid advert it used to bring in about £1000 in sales ... this was the days beofre paypal became massive ... NOCHEX used to have 3 adverts after you logged out , and it was £50 for a weeks visibilty and at the time they were busy busy busy , but they are almost non exisitant with paypal taking over the world now

Ive offered as much honest advice as i can .. so make sure you PM me if you find anything thats works , as the only growing part of this business now is ebay ... everything else , all those lovely jubbly high margin websites i have .. they are all down down down :-(

Have fun

Aug 24, 2009
UK
Some wide variations of different advertising options - both free and paid for.

A book i reccomend reading is The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur by Mike Michalowicz.

I have collaboration with Mike often and it's amazing to see how he set up his businesses and then marketed them effectively without spending a lot of money. He's the master of bootstrapping!

Pretty much everything online covered by this in depth article.

Reactions: Mitch