eBay best match search

Hi everyone,
We have been selling a product on eBay for a number of years, and manage to keep it always on the 1st page, within the top 5 listings. We are a Top Rated seller with almost perfect feedback and very low rate of cases opened.
We change the price (up and down) often, to try and compete with other sellers and to keep us within the top 5 results.
Our stock levels went low at the beginning of the week so on Tuesday morning we put the price up to try and slow sales, until the stock arrived next week. We do this maybe 4-5 times a year.
On Wednesday morning I tried to search for the product and it was no where to be seen, I eventually found it on page 15 of the search results.
Wondering what on earth had happened I rang eBay and was told that every time we change the price on the listing it effects the best match search, however within 48 hours of the change, it will be back up to its original position. I found this very strange as we change the price at least once a week with this product and it has never dropped in the search results. The advisor told me to wait until this morning and it should be back to normal.
So, I checked again this afternoon and still there is no change, stuck on page 15.
So again, I rang eBay, however this time was told that whatever the last advisor said was not true and that the listing will not go back to page 1., they said that they would look into this with the tech team and get back to me.

I wanted to know if anyone else had experienced the same with a product, as it is the first time this has ever happened to us in over 10 years trading.

Cheers

Jul 14, 2009
belgium
I sell on Ebay BE. When I do a search the only sellers I see are foreign sellers. In fact a lot of UK sellers. My Ebay sales have become hardly inexistant. My main competitor used to seller 30 items and more a day. Now lots of days where he sells less than 10.

Definately Cassini. Remember the Ebay outage from some time ago? Without a doubt the day Cassini was rolled out worldwide.

Cassini has a lot of "bugs" where your listing disappears into thin air, then once in a while it reappears and this spiral continues.
They say it's to do with the price changes, mainly when you increase it, however from what I've seen is that the price increase effectively "restarts" your search rank, as if there is no sales history and you just listed a new item.

I personally had to relist all of my GTC listings (which is every single listing I have 40+) because I wanted to adjust the price and it was easier and faster to do it this way. Newly listed GTC's or even normal 30day listings rank much higher than before. You will lose all the sales history, but will bounce back towards the 1st page much quicker. (for reference I had a listing with 200+sales which I relisted just because of Cassini) it's now back in the top 10 within 2-3days due to the new sales.

Conversion ratio - views/watches per sale is much more important now, cassini uses this ratio to determine search rank. You can see this for yourself, make 1 sale and see how much they bump you in search rank, if you do not make consecutive sales in 2-3days it will be lowered search rank.

Cassini is still being worked on constantly, but in the last week it's been much much better for me, all of my listings are back to page 1. I'm a TRS silver seller using the Premium Service badge on every listing and I have 99.8% feedback with 4.96 4.94 4.95 5 DSR's (0 cases against my account - no 1 or 2 DSR's in the last 4 months), yet until last week I was being ranked multiple pages lower than 95% non-TRS non-premium service badge and more expensive items with 0 sales. All while I was making sales on my listing..

Cassini will take months if not years to perfect just as it took the previous algorithm a long time to mature to what were using (10 years).

In the meantime try relisting your GTC's if the sales have become stale, they will also show up in buyer's "feed" which is the interests you can follow on the home page, which in itself will generate some sales. Also all of your watchers will receive an email saying you re-listed the item, it usually gets a few sales.

Best of luck.

Jul 14, 2009
belgium
For me as a business it's just another reason to no longer spend the free time I have to tweak my listings for the so maniest time. First it's the titles, than the pictures, then I should strip all HTML from my listings, tomorrow it will be something else, next week, again, next month,...