fake email from paypal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2005
UK
this is just a warning to website owners using paypal, i have receieved a couple of fake emails asking me to update my account due to fraud or spoof emails ,it all looks good but when you click on to link there it does not come up www.paypal.com in the tool bar.plus i am a bit to old to get caught out by this ,so be on your guard

Oct 17, 2004
London, UK
Yeh there are many spoof emails coming from Paypal and Ebay and have been for a quite a while now.

Best bet is to forward any emails from them to either;
(E-mail hidden for privacy) or .com if you are US
(E-mail hidden for privacy) or .com if you are US

Correct me if the email addresses above are in-correct.. ;)

Mar 27, 2005
UK
(E-mail hidden for privacy)

Dec 15, 2005
If they get successful the worst scenario is that they will deplete your bank account !
It's a very dangerous world out there and it happened to me also a lot of times... bs thieves online :mad: .

The recent e-mail I receieved from these thieves was last week, they wanted me to update my paypal account.

Goodthing I was made aware of these scam because one of my friend's eBay account got hi jacked. These thieves was using his account to sell high ticket items... At one time he found out his account was selling lots of Nanos, PSP, computers, motor bikes and etc when he did'nt list them... So beware guys.

By the way hi everyone.

Sep 18, 2004
England
Thing is most people with a paypal account should know paypal will never ask you for you details anyway .

I got screwed in an attempted scam about 8 months ago that involved a Paypal email. I was pretty new to dropshipping at the time and the guy that tried to scam me was actually pretty good. I'll explain below for those of you who care to know...

Here she goes: I advertised a digital camera on Ebay and someone bought it for the buy it now price (which was actually pretty high). Anyway, the guy contacted me and said he didn't want to pay the $10 shipping fee I had listed as he wanted me to ship the camera directly to his friend out of the country (can you guess where?) and he didn't want to pay the extra cost. Instead he would email me a shipping label for fedex which I would use to ship. I figured what the hell so I had netdropshipper sent the camera to me directly.

I had received an email from "Paypal" previously saying that the money had been taken out of the buyers account and put into mine once I sent them a tracking #. I assumed this was a new protection they used as I had not used Paypal in a year or so previously. The email looked very authentic (same header, footer, writing, etc.). So I went ahead and fedexed the camera to this guy once I received it from netdropshipper.

The next day my common sense got the best of me and I called Paypal. It was then I realized this was all a scam. I contacted Fedex immediately and the package had already arrived in Europe and was en route to it's destination in, you guessed it Nigeria. They informed me that it would cost $185 dollars to mail it back to myself (the fedex account that bought the label was set up with a stolen CC). So my other option was to have it destroyed at customs. Seeing as though the camera only cost $80 in the first place it was hardly worth paying $185 to have it mailed back.

So I did the right thing and let the Nigerian keep it. He had earned it afterall. Yeah right! I had them destroy that **** at customs. I wasn't going to let that ***** get anything. Anyway, at least his Paypal scam was reported and the fedex account was shut down. I'm also very happy he didn't receive his free camera. Basically it was a lose-lose for everyone but I am happy it happened. It made me open my eyes and be extremely thorough before doing business with anyone. That $80 has saved me $1000+ on a transaction I might have made instead.

Feb 18, 2006
Spoof Emails

I get loads of these emails from ebay,paypal,american banks & received one from Barclays the other day ( first time from Barclays & I don't even bank with them ).

Word of advice - Never click on a link from an email.Always log into your account as you would usually ie type address into your browser.

Another popular scam email is the ask seller a question ( ebay ) and says somthing like where's my item or I'm about to report you to ebay I haven't received my item - again asking you to click on the reply button.

Stay Safe !

Nov 16, 2005
UK
yeahbaby said:
Word of advice - Never click on a link from an email.Always log into your account as you would usually ie type address into your browser

I totally agree I keep receiving spoof emails from ebay saying you haven't paid for an item if you don't pay for it now we will report you to ebay. I check my ebay a/c and surprise surprise no email there! Always check your ebay/paypal a/c before offering personal details.

My friend received an email from "Paypal" yesterday saying that he owes $400 or so for an unpaid item. He clicked on the link and there was a place to enter your user ID and password. He, of course, didn't enter his details. He forwarded the info to Paypal's fraud department.

BillyA

Retired Moderator
Jan 9, 2006
USA
This is what sucks about Ebay. Scammers can go ahead and bid on your item and ask you to jump through all kinds of hoops (like mailing to Nigeria) and we DO IT!! Why? We don't want the NEG feedback.

i used to have a problem with nigerian bidders but all you have to do is go to your seller preferences and tick the paypal account required box - stops them from bidding on youre item. :D

Or filling up their prepaid envelope with rocks, tires, etc.

Jan 19, 2006
Minnesota
I have never gotten begative feedback from one of these experiences on eBay. If the winner of the auction requests that I send it to their sick son in Nigeris (or whatever the newest excuse is) I report it straight to eBay. They are pretty knowledgable about this type of scam and will shut it down quickly. They also gave me a refund on my auction costs.
I have gotten two scammers on eBay kicked off like this in the past month!! :niceone:

Oh, and about what Nadz said. If you require that a seller have a Paypal account, that means that you cannot offer any other type of acceptable payment. And lots of (ok, well some) legit people like to send in cashier's checks and the such.
You will lower the demographic of your buyer's market if you only offer Paypal. :D

Dec 27, 2005
USA
I was at the point of getting almost a nigerian scammer every day. Always the same old story: Buyer is living abroad in [pick a european country] - usually for a church seminal, has a young relative [pick any relative] going to school in a university in nigeria - typically Lagos, willing to pay you $20 to $30 more than your "buy it now" price and insists in using their own shipping.

I got so sick of reporting these guys every day to eBay (which does shut them down very quickly), filing for a FVF refund, and relisting. I just recently turned on the "must have a paypal account" option. It has cut the scammers down big time, but still a few get through - must be hijacking someone's account or something. This option still allows you to receive checks and money orders if you desire. It may force you to have a paypal account but it does not force you to pay via paypal.

-Paul

Jan 19, 2006
Minnesota
Oh, I never knew that icomguy... Very informative. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.