• The Supplier Central is now part of Business Data Group

I’m pleased to let you know that this website has now become part of the BDG family and will be brought together with our existing UK business community under the banner of UK Business Forums. You can read the full release here

Whilst my colleagues and I are working through the technicalities of bringing the two communities together we have suspended new registrations to this site and I’d encourage you to register on UK Business Forums

I look forward to getting to know you and your business,

Richard ‘Ozzy’ Osborne
    Founder of UK Business Forums

help with SEND FROM CHINA forwarder

Mar 1, 2011
uk
Hi
I recently contacted a company called Sendfromchina a shipping and forwarding company of a large size in china.

I was contacted by one of their people and started using him to forward some goods.

All was fine except i payed him by paypal to his personal account,which i was happy to do as his comapny is well known.

However the last 2 shipments i have been charged for parcel which are under the weight given.The first one was about 2kg under,i questioned it he said is was packing ect.
Now my last parcel he has charged me for 23 kg but the fedex paper work says it is 15kg.

I have contacted him about it and he say he made a mistake and that the agent he used also added 3kg.

Should i contact sendfromchina directly? Does anyone know if the parcel would have even gone through his company or do you think he is operating one the side?

Any advice from anyone who knows how the Chinese work this and how i should go about getting back 8 kg of shipping,would be gratefully received.

May 30, 2005
First, you should be dealing with SFC directly.

Second, many couriers do not enter the exact weight when the initial "ticket" is initiated, but actually weigh it on their own scales when it hits their depot, so there can be some variation at the start.

Depending on the size of the parcel, they will always add for packing, often 0.5kg, minimum.

You will find no "authorities" who will bother with something like this. You can push for a refund, but I'd say you are pretty much wasting your time. Reality sucks, but that's how it is.

You don't say how the package is getting to SFC. How reliable is the person / company who actually packed to parcel. It could be they are less than honest with you regarding weight from the start. You have a lot of "handlers" in the stream. Again, I'd say write it off and look for more dependable folks.

Get a real account with SFC and go from there.

I'll spend easily $1,000 plus a week with SFC, I've never had a problem. Many days it's $300 or $400 and that does not include DHL, which we do with another agent. I stand by them 100%.

Mar 1, 2011
uk
hi Pete
Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.
The goods are packed by the manufacture and i know the rough weight.
I tell the SFC rep¬ the company and he arranges to have the goods sent to him where he wieghs them and sometime repacks them.
I understand that if a parcel says 10kg on the dhl document they will charge me an extra 1 kg for packing.That is why i didn`t say to much when he charge me an extra 2kg on the first parcel.

The problem is when he puts them on his scale he is adding on a large amount ie..fed ex parcel reads 15 kg he told me it was 23kg..which i paid because i`ve used him a few tiomes and had some trust in him.

I do have an account with SFC which i opened up recently and this is how this person got hold of my email.I checked with SFC directly and they said yes he works for them and i could deal through him.Having said that none of my shipments show up on my online account.

Surely if this employee is not going through SFC he is taking their business?
I`m not sure how this works in China because even some very large companys have a private person name to pay when buying goods.

I could get a charge back on what i payed but i wonder if it was a genuine mistake as ....to tell someone the parcel is 23 kg ,he must have known i would see it was no where near that.

During my time in China so far, I have seen a lot of cases...where forwarders, packers and movers and similar agencies in china, add weight to goods..through various means such as by manipulating documents, using a remote control to manipulate weighing machines if you are physically present and other such means. I have also seen cases, where manufacturers themselves quote much higher weight than actual, just to make some margin on shipping. Recently, one of our European customers ordered some computer mouse and headphones from a manufacturer, who was also managing the freight, he said the total CBM for the goods was 3.8 CBM and quoted accordingly. When the buyer contacted us and asked to handle the shipping as he found the freight charges excessive, upon receipt of goods, the total CBM was 2.9.

It may have been a genuine mistake, these things occur everywhere in the world! However it very much sounds to me as if he is dealing with you outside of the company. The fact that you are paying by Paypal into his personal account and none of it is showing up on your Sendfromchina account certainly makes it look that way. Why don't you contact them again and tell them you want to use your account?

May 30, 2005
I have found SFC to be a very good partner in my business. I personally do not deal with them on a day to day basis, I have a Chinese employee in Shenzhen who handles our shipping and interacts with them, as my Chinese language skills are less than adequate.

While they will now process shipments if my prepaid account becomes slightly overdrawn, for months they would hold packages until I had a positive balance. My point here is - Are you prepaying? Do you have a balance with them?

They are a responsible company. You should contact someone in authority or have a trusted Chinese person do so on your behalf. Somewhere you have gotten sidetracked and you need to get this straightened out.

As mentioned above, picking up some pocket change on shipping is common worldwide. Adding a tenth to a half a kg for "packing" is common in China. But this sounds like pure and simple "thumb on the scales", which is illegal in most of the world. You need to pursue this, and definitely use SFC directly.

Mar 1, 2011
uk
HI Pete

Just to answer you.No i don`t pre-pay and have no credit in my account.
When i opened the account with SFC i got an email from one of their employee (call him no1)who said he was thier representive.At the same time i got an email from SFC directly with a different contact name.
I was a bit confused and ask SFC who to deal with and they it was fine to deal with (no1) so i did.
He sent my first parcel swiftly and at a reasonable price (,intrestingly he sent it before i paid him) so i paid him as he asked to his personal paypal.

I try to avoid paying like that but my 2 most trusted suppliers in china both get paid in that way and they are fairly big companys.,so i didn`t question it.

Just to say i`m still useing him to deliver some goods but i`m making him tell me the exact weight before he sends it and agreeing a rough price.
I will deposit some money in my SFC account and try them directly and take it from there.Their price seem very good indeed.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.It`s most helpfull.

Yes, agreed most of the logistics companies in Chennai, even India too have lots of hidden charges. So better to search online and offline, visit there location also to confirm it is relocated or not. I recently moved from india to america with one of the startup company in India "Navgati packers". They provide a quality services in house shifting in Chennai to America. So be carefull while choosing any relocation company.