How to get my adult toy website known

Oct 13, 2009
UK
How you all doing? I have opened a adult website selling adult toys and clothes. I have joined adwords, Twitter/Facebook/Google+. I am planning on running a blog but not sure what to use, should I use my own domains blog or join a website?

I haven't used a blog before so wondering if there is a blogging company out that I should join. Also anyone with any experience before in this industry with any advice would be great.

Thank you

Apr 11, 2014
You probably couldn't have went into a worse business. Start the blog and will see how enthusiastic you will be updating it when you see no sales or interest in any your products. The real money in that it business is selling the dream to the fools.

Oct 13, 2009
UK
I know its actaully the worst business to get into, I knew this before starting it. I do already have a jewellery store so it makes no difference how long it will take. What blog website should I use or should I stick to my domain?

You probably couldn't have went into a worse business. Start the blog and will see how enthusiastic you will be updating it when you see no sales or interest in any your products. The real money in that it business is selling the dream to the fools.

Is this bronze droplet of wisdom from your personal experience?

Feb 9, 2014
There's a lot of stiff competition out there, and unless you're able to whip something big out of the bag then you're probably going to struggle.

Sorry, I just had to.

In terms of blogging, I'd recommend wordpress. It's incredibly functional and there's nothing you can't do. With regard to social, it's all well and good signing up, but do you actually use the services properly?

Feb 16, 2011
UK
Also, think about how many people are actually gonna like "Jason's Dildo Emporium" on facebook. I don't think it can hurt but I wouldn't count on social media to be your number 1 marketing outlet.

Reactions: eAuction
May 30, 2005
Getting it "known" will be an exercise in futility. Thousands come and go each year. At best, you should aim at directing existing customers for other products there. You need an existing "list", using SEO of any sort from scratch will be lots of effort for little return.

Sep 26, 2012
London, UK
I was actually thinking what would be the contents of a blog for adult toys would be (lol). You might be in a tough market there since Google has a tough eye on this industry and they are all too familiar with it that they always block content that has keywords in their watchlist.

In that sense, advertising might be your best bet. Check out some adult sites and try to get your banners put up in there. You could get a better chance there than Facebook anyway (I suspect end buyers of your products would like to stay anonymous so being social about it is not an option).

Dec 29, 2009
Liverpool
You could allways make some videos demonstrating how to use the adult toys and put them on free adult video sharing sites :)

Not Youtube though as they don't like that sort of thing.

Feb 9, 2014
You could allways make some videos demonstrating how to use the adult toys and put them on free adult video sharing sites :)

Not Youtube though as they don't like that sort of thing.
Whilst I like the idea of that, I think it could only work if you get the videos right, and also what you mean by "how to use" ;)

Without going in to too much detail, I know of one website that does videos (not that sort) but how effective they are at driving traffic to the site I don't know. I know Alexa isn't the best source of information sometimes, but looking at the stats for that website 1.5% of traffic comes from YouTube.

Oct 13, 2009
UK
Twitter in terms of social media is the only one that I am able to generate any sort of fans. I knew this genre was not easy as I have already said ;) but I am already selling, I didn't need help on how to sell or advertise, was purly about blogging.

I know people that help share my store that are in the adult industry and on adult websites. I only thought of making a blog as I assumed it would be the only other platform I could use as Facebook and Google+ are not good social tools for the adult tade industry. Trust me I have been researching this sector for a while before starting it.

Haha @Volantary My website hasn't got a name like that :P

Oct 13, 2009
UK
Whilst I like the idea of that, I think it could only work if you get the videos right, and also what you mean by "how to use" ;)

Without going in to too much detail, I know of one website that does videos (not that sort) but how effective they are at driving traffic to the site I don't know. I know Alexa isn't the best source of information sometimes, but looking at the stats for that website 1.5% of traffic comes from YouTube.

Yes there are a few that do this

Oct 13, 2009
UK
I was actually thinking what would be the contents of a blog for adult toys would be (lol). You might be in a tough market there since Google has a tough eye on this industry and they are all too familiar with it that they always block content that has keywords in their watchlist.

In that sense, advertising might be your best bet. Check out some adult sites and try to get your banners put up in there. You could get a better chance there than Facebook anyway (I suspect end buyers of your products would like to stay anonymous so being social about it is not an option).

I read up on a company that spoke about this, don't really want to mention what the keyword was but the one google asked them to change it too generated 80% less traffic for that item due to one keyword. Bit silly really as if your are looking for a specific item you are going to type that items name in and not think of an alternative way of writing it

Oct 13, 2009
UK
There's a lot of stiff competition out there, and unless you're able to whip something big out of the bag then you're probably going to struggle.

Sorry, I just had to.

In terms of blogging, I'd recommend wordpress. It's incredibly functional and there's nothing you can't do. With regard to social, it's all well and good signing up, but do you actually use the services properly?

HAHA! good one, yes I am looking into wordpress now, thanks :)

Aug 22, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Another vote for wordpress if looking for a blog that is easy to set up & manage, I would also advise self hosting in a subfolder of your main website (so it would basically be 'yoursite.com/blog' or something like that).

Good luck!

Reactions: JasonG
Oct 13, 2009
UK
Forgive me from going off your blog topic but why would you choose to go into this business knowing how difficult it is? Why would someone do that?

Becuase I find it fun, different from all the boring stuff I usually sell. Also If no one tried then there wouldn't be any shops online right? I like to think there is space for every one.. if you don't give up!