I love Aweber!!

Aug 14, 2010
England
Wow so glad I signed up for this! For those of you who dont know about or dont use them (or anyone similar) they basically gather email addresses from your website and you can then send customers regular updates, special offers etc.

I forked out for a whole year (about £140) and in just 2 weeks have had a good amount of followers and today I have sent out my first news letter - http://archive.aweber.com/risuswholesale/Fmo1A/h/Our_First_News_Letter_Of.htm and although I need to change the giant logo at the top I am so impressed with the service I just thought I would shout about it on here.

I cant believe how much detail you get on people who opened, clicked through to the site etc, its fantastic and I reckon that once I get a few hundred people sign up I will get my money back in extra sales easily.

If anyone is thinking of adding this to their site then I recommend you go for it and if you want to sign up to our newsletter please feel free to fill in the form on our homepage :)

Mar 4, 2009
UK
It is a really good tool actually! Did you know that aweber can capture email addresses from paypal payments and have them added to your mailing list automatically? The other thing is that lots of internet marketing people use it to deliver drip fed information products and online courses.

Feb 16, 2011
UK
Can someone tell me in simple terms what the anti-spam legislation says about this sort of thing? So say I import all my ebay sales' email addresses into aweber, do I send out an email saying "do xyz if you want regular updates" or should there have been a clause at point of sale? Or do you say "do xyz if you don't want to receive emails, otherwise they will carry on" sort of thing?

Hope that made sense lol :)

Mar 4, 2009
UK
Can someone tell me in simple terms what the anti-spam legislation says about this sort of thing? So say I import all my ebay sales' email addresses into aweber, do I send out an email saying "do xyz if you want regular updates" or should there have been a clause at point of sale? Or do you say "do xyz if you don't want to receive emails, otherwise they will carry on" sort of thing?

Makes complete sense mate! Aweber will do this all for you. Once you import the email addresses into aweber it will send out a confirmation email asking customers wether they agree to recieve information from you. This email I believe is customisable and therefore you can offer an incentive for them to subscribe to your list.

Mar 4, 2009
UK
Ooh no I didnt realise that, how do you capture them from Paypal?
There's a Paypal App within your Aweber that allows you to add paypal customers to a list of your choice even handling paypal subscriptions by adding them when they make the first payment and unsubscribing them when they stop.

Hope this helps

Jacob

Reactions: ladyvgw

It did actually make sense ;) to me.

What you should be doing to stay in compliance with the anti-spam legislation is to ask for permission at the point of sale to send people regular updates and then send them a follow up email using your email provider to confirm they want to be sent updates (known as a "double opt-in"). You should also double opt-in all subscribers if you offer a newsletter on your website that people can sign up for whilst visiting your site.

You are allowed to email customers updates about their orders and any other transactional information without any concerns. I know some companies feel they can also send customers weekly or monthly specials even if the customers do not complete a double opt-in.

I don't recommend this as these days you really only want to be sending any promotional emails to customers or prospects who actually want to receive them and have asked for them.

This will also keep you out of trouble with the anti-spam rules and maintain a great reputation for your company.

Cheers,
Nick

Reactions: Volantary
Jan 8, 2009
London
I'm being curious.

Do you guys actually report a company who sends out emails when you didn't opt in? I mean I read a lot about potential trouble that a company can face and etc but I wonder if there IS any company that got in trouble at all.

I just filler emails if I don't like them. Don't see that it's such a big deal. Wonder if anyone bothers to report it......

I'm being curious.

Do you guys actually report a company who sends out emails when you didn't opt in? I mean I read a lot about potential trouble that a company can face and etc but I wonder if there IS any company that got in trouble at all.

I just filler emails if I don't like them. Don't see that it's such a big deal. Wonder if anyone bothers to report it......

Yes people absolutely do report spam all the time AND in many cases they also report companies where they have actually double opted-in for emails as many people forget what emails they have signed up for and take the lazy approach sometimes.

All of the majors ISPs have made it very easy to report unwanted emails as spam and if your company reaches a certain percentage or number of spam complaints the ISP will ban/block you or your email provider from sending any more emails from your company.

The government agencies can also get involved - in the US these days with the CAN-SPAM Act companies can be fined as much as $16,000 per violation. Here is an except from the Federal Trade Commission web site:

"Despite its name, the CAN-SPAM Act doesn’t apply just to bulk email. It covers all commercial messages, which the law defines as “any electronic mail message the primary purpose of which is the commercial advertisement or promotion of a commercial product or service,” including email that promotes content on commercial websites. The law makes no exception for business-to-business email. That means all email – for example, a message to former customers announcing a new product line – must comply with the law.

Each separate email in violation of the CAN-SPAM Act is subject to penalties of up to $16,000, so non-compliance can be costly."

The practical reality is not too many companies get hit with this type of fine and the bigger risk is getting banned from sending emails and creating a bad reputation for your company by sending unwanted emails.

Reactions: successjourney