Thinking of starting a business ?..A few things to take note of

Jun 28, 2010
After seeing a few threads about people thinking of starting an e Bay, drop shipping , small business etc, you
need to take serious note of the following.
OK if you are doing a house clearance / personal items..But if you are thinking of starting a new business you
are self employed.

As soon as you start buying to sell at a profit you become self employed or sole trader

You must register with HMRC. https://www.gov.uk/business-legal-structures/sole-trader
Just saying you are just starting out as a hobby will not impress them

Get planning permission.
Call your local council to let them know your plans..Even if you are drop shipping and only using your
address for correspondence, you will need to ask them if planning permission is needed. Providing your
home continues to look like a home on the outside, functions as a home on the inside, and that you
are not keeping stock in a garage or other outside building, you will not need planning permission
and not need to pay extra rates..When they are happy with this, ask them to put it in writing. Be aware
they may insist on a home visit to satisfy their curiosity and ask about how many deliveries you may
be expecting each week.

Talk to your neighbours. Let them know what your plans are and that you may be getting some larger
deliveries than normal..Unless you are lucky, there is normally one `Victor Meldrew` in each street.
I got one that moved in to our close the other year, who immediately started shouting and finger pointing
in my face..A combination of the written permission from the council (said you may need it) and reporting
him to the police for harassment got the desired affect and he,s been quite since

If you are getting tax credits of one kind or another, you need to let them know each year at renewal
about any extra income..You could be in big trouble if you don`t

All the above if fairly simple to do..It must be if I can do it..You may be lucky and get through the net.
But believe me HMRC are looking through e bay and websites looking for anyone that may not be registered.
I for one got a random call from the local trading standards, who noticed I was a small business, and wanted to
make sure was all OK and went through my website to ensure all my details / T&Cs etc were correct and legal.

Feel free to add anything I,ve missed that you need to do when starting out

Well Shared!
Quiet infomatory and helpful for newbies. I will pin this for the other to take a look at the same.

Mar 23, 2018
Nice advice article, thank you!!

All the informative advice you provide are valuable but the main problem any person face when starting a business is 'Funds' and Now days its not much difficult to obtain a quick business loans from to private lenders like:
Merchant Advisors
Funding Circle
Ondeck

Nov 22, 2018
Thanks for providing this helpful information, i really appreciate your work.

Anyone who runs their own business in the UK needs to let HMRC know about it. HMRC are then able to track the individual, their earnings and how much tax they should be paying.

Mar 17, 2019
Register as a sole trader – this tells HMRC you will be earning some extra money. They will then send you a Self Assessment Tax return to complete at the end of the year where you declare any income and profits. This is a very simple and cheap way to do things but it does mean that you are personally liable for any losses or problems with the business.

Feb 15, 2019
Looking to open a land office, this helps thanks

Apr 30, 2019
This information is great and shouldn't be overlooked, as setting up legally will provide the best foundation for any business startup. I am currently making content for a blog, I want to answer in depth any business start-up questions you are having trouble with when setting up their business. If you have any suggestions- please fill out my 30secs questionnaire below;):grin:
https://forms.gle/WDkbcjbaZFf532kS9

Apr 30, 2019
This information is great and shouldn't be overlooked, as setting up legally will provide the best foundation for any business startup. I am currently making content for a blog, I want to answer in depth any business start-up questions you are having trouble with when setting up their business. If you have any suggestions- please fill out my 30secs questionnaire below;):grin:
https://forms.gle/WDkbcjbaZFf532kS9
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...zeBbR3LSdTdHyLmYDnVBFANg/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thanks for the advice. Isn't easy to start a business and half the time we forget the things which needs to be done. This'll help. Thanks again.

Aug 16, 2019
Thanks for cool advices. I believe that SWOT analysis can help a lot when starting a business.
I also very into security when it comes to business. I have a small business with not so many people and now we're starting to make our business secured, first of all we got NordVPN Teams, then configurated backup program and now we're thinking about getting more programs.