• The Supplier Central is now part of Business Data Group

I’m pleased to let you know that this website has now become part of the BDG family and will be brought together with our existing UK business community under the banner of UK Business Forums. You can read the full release here

Whilst my colleagues and I are working through the technicalities of bringing the two communities together we have suspended new registrations to this site and I’d encourage you to register on UK Business Forums

I look forward to getting to know you and your business,

Richard ‘Ozzy’ Osborne
    Founder of UK Business Forums

TSC 8th Anniversary Competition – What is the best business advice you have ever received?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
We'll throw all the prizes into one pot and draw from that as a collective. Whether you have entered via the forum or via Facebook, you have equal chance to win any of the prizes.
If that's now the case I would like to enter please using my earlier post, thanks.

Feb 7, 2010
England
ANOTHER PIECE OF ADVICE GIVEN TO ME
don't use any of these words in business emails, letters and website text

LOL
SOZ
:)
PENG
PEAK
INNIT
OMG
FYI
@TEOTD
ETC
BMT
DAT
DEFO
DAMN
LAUGHHINN
HOLLA

Hmm... I think half of my eBay customers should look at this thread and take note.

Jun 26, 2012
The best eyeopeners i have received in my growing up life is as follows and i believe everyone should have at least a slight idea of what i am going to say:

Selling shouldnt be either over estimated or undersestimated. Most people underestimate the importance of selling. And the ones who have selling in them naturally always over estimate selling. It is important to balance this aspect to be successful for a longer time period. I learnt that from a coleague who was my boss at one of my work places and ONLY AFTER seeing him in action had i understood the importance of selling and how majority of the honest people lose out on that.

And it is from the same person i also learnt that if you make a environment/situation that makes the customer naturally inclined to buy, then there is absolutely no risk of failing. And that involves being able to read the customers mind. And estimating what are the customer's expectations and exceeding them.

And lastly, this is one that nobody in particular advised me of, but rather a result of my life's experience and a sudden realisation...
In life, people belong to two classes, business or worker. This is not at all dependant on opportunity, capital, luck etc. You either belong to this group or the other! Some people think of starting a businesss when they make enough money. That is wrong. Businessman are always doing business and use the business money to grow bigger.

I hope everyone gets my drift!

The second advice

Reactions: Ada Peng
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Another great quote which I swear by and runs along side my other post is

"Do you live to work or work to live"

It makes so much sense and one that always springs to mind especially since I had children.

Happy Birthday TSC!!!

Yes, during these years business , my boss i think is No 1 people give me the best advise ,they helpful for me , really .. and change my life :)

1.Work Harder
in beginning, i just think this is easy, just do what you want to do, and then play, i am wrong
you deed work harder, but what you did, get achievement ? so when you work , you think about something and plan, then go to work , this is first year i come to Battle-Axe wheel aligner factory , it is 2009

2,take your customer as your girl
Now competitor is more, what we win ? except for wheel aligner itself, that is the service, you need to think about from buyer side, how to think about ? yes, take them as your girlfriends, then you will how to service

i win !!! this is very nice advise . thank you boss

3,Happy to yourself
surely , work is your part if your life because we need money and alive .. go around and see, did you find a new place you never seen in your heart?

Yes i did

Thank you TSC again

Happy 8th Birthday TSC!
Over the past three years, these forums have helped me develop my businesses, and I can only thank the community for this!
Now I incorporate things I have learnt on here, into my work in general!

The best advice I have ever received is,
'Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently'

Joe

Reactions: cliveohagan
Happy 8th birthday to the whole Team, I have been on many a forum but this is by far the best so a huge well done and thankyou.

I would say I agree with a few other comments above its delinately a case of treat others how you would like to be treated (Blue chip companies take note)

"Good Service is everything" the best product at the best price can only substitute service so much.

Duncan Bannatyne recently said "the best time to start a business is now, its always now" So I am ;)

Never be afraid to ask for help is another thing I have learnt, a stupid question doesnt exist ( well actually it does I have been asked a few times what colour white paint is believe it or not)

Maybe a few other could go into it also

If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.
There really is no such thing as a get rich quick scheme it takes hard work and commitment and support from those around you.

Bring on the next 8 years and I can then hopefully pass my experience on to new members and help them grow as well as you guys have helped me so far.

shopafrolix

Banned Member
Oct 4, 2011
United Kingdom
My best advice for life came from a story I was told when I was young - one of those 'moral' stories about never giving up and trying again, and again.

Robert 'The Bruce', lay still and silent on his mean straw bed, oblivious of the cold and discomfort of his surroundings, troubled and disturbed by his thoughts.

Suddenly his eye was caught by a spider - the creature was hanging by a long silvery thread from one of the wooden beams above his head, and trying to swing itself to another beam.

The spider tried again and again, failing every time. Six times, counted Robert, the spider tried and failed. 'Six times,' thought Robert to himself, 'have I fought against the English and failed.'

Robert looked at the spider more intently. 'Now if this spider fails again on the seventh attempt, I too shall give up the fight for Scotland. But if it succeeds, I shall try again.'

The spider, as though aware of Robert's thought, swung itself again with all its tiny strength - and finally, on the seventh attempt, it succeeded. It swung on to the beam it had been trying to reach, and fastened its thread, thus stretching the first line of the web it was trying to weave.

Robert Bruce smiled, and sat up. He threw off his despair and grief, and determined to set out for Scotland again and continue his fight against the English. He fought against the English for the next eight years, defeating them and finally driving them out of Scotland in 1314, at the Battle of Bannockburn.

Moral: Try, and try again, until you succeed.

Aug 13, 2011
England
The best advice I've ever been given is that doing well in business isn't (necessarily) about the having lowest price or the having the best product. It's about playing your hand as best you can and manipulating the system to your advantage.

May 22, 2011
UK
Seek the whole world for advices and write them down on your note book - Good.
Going to seminars and learn success stories - Umm... not too bad.
Attend business shows and get ideas - Ok....nice choice.

You can brain-storm all day long and get excited on what you may achieve in a few years time.

But most business starters (or those "wanna-be"s) probably have the same problem: GREAT ideas, but NEVER put them into action.

So it is down to just one word: ACT.

Best advice given to me and from me, just as all of us know the famous slogan from Nike, is:

just_do_it.jpg

Happy birthday, TSC.

Reactions: cliveohagan
Hi!
Nice to meet everybody!
As an absolute beginner, I think that the best advice I have ever received is to create an account on your forum!
:D
And congratulations! 8 years, nowadays, it's already quite a very long time for a website
We have a winner!! LOL

Jul 15, 2012
The best advice given was by reading a book called "the alchemist" it's life changing.

Life gives you a taste of beginners luck and sucks you in, after this you face the hard problems in business.
If you are scared to leave your job, don't be. Let's say you are a banker, if you leave you can always one day go back to it.
By following your dream life takes you on a journey and within this you face obstacles, but with a business mind you can do it. You may find it hard to pursue your destiny, but life challanges you to do it, but people are scared.

Concentrate on the present and you will be happy.

For me in the future I want to run a successful business and if I concentrate on this, i am happy.

Best advice ever.

Happy birthday TSC

Jay315

Jun 14, 2012
Congratulations!!!

The best advice keeps cropping up in different forms -

"If you don't make mistakes you will never learn - just don't repeat them"

"The harder you work the luckier you get!

Applying logic (which some of us don't do) "Never waste time fighting a losing battle"

There has to be something in them as they have been around for generations and they have been regularly quoted by very successful business people

Jul 17, 2012
Happy birthday TSC!

The best advise i ever received is a man must with a brave heart to face his difficulty

Status
Not open for further replies.