Working from home? Insured? Are you sure?

Oct 5, 2008
UK
Anyone found anyone who will insure them? Company web address's please...
Im struggling to find a quote for under £1000 a year based on £50k worth of stock.

Have you tried http://www.hiscox.co.uk ?

goldbar

Banned Member
Dec 1, 2010
England
OR

Do what I did,

Rent a container for about £400 a year. (6ft) It was stored in a secure place, cameras etc. Huge lock on the door gate and on the containers. I used to print all my orders at home then go to the container to put the stock in the jiffy bags. I now have a unit and do it all there, but the container very cheap and secure.

You could also have a laptop/printer/dongle at your container and do it all from there. I was planning to do this but having a unit worked out better for what I was doing at the time.

Wowiwon

Banned Member
Jun 19, 2011
usa
Thanks for sharing this information i am soon starting a business of my own from home, this will help me be sure everything is insured correctly.

Hreetity

Banned Member
Oct 19, 2011
USA
Hi,

Dear All,

Happy Deepwali,

I have also registered with workathomeindia.com, by paying Rs. 350/- and I got all th details which was provided in their email. Those have a very stick nomes to deliver the work or details. May be you have done some mistakes over there. Due to that mistake, may be they have not supplied you the details. You can approatch with them with your details once again. May be they will ask you for payment details n I am 100% sure, if you are fulfilled their requirements. There is no reason not to provide work or details of work. Because, I am very much satisfied with their work and I am getting regular payment from their recommonded websites or links.

Regards
Hreetity

Lace

Retired Moderator
Mar 21, 2011
London, UK.
Hi Jay,

Do your clients visit you in your home office or vice versa? If yes you might want to take a look at getting public liability insurance. This is to cover you in case someone claims for injuries or damage to property.

In case someone questions the quality of your service (or advice - if you are giving it out as a professional), you can also consider getting professional indemnity insurance.

I hope this helps :)

Lace

Jun 6, 2012
Thank you lace. a very helpful and relevant reply indeed. would you know of any reliable insurers by chance? or give me a slight idea on wht insurers are quoting nowadays for Professional Indemnity and Public Liability insurance?

May 8, 2012
Great info that many people simply overlook thinking 'it wont happen to me'

People working from home (not just a home office) should also be enquiring about change of use planning permission that most local authorities insist on if you hold stock that is stored and distributed from a residential address. Then you have business rates on the part of the property that is to be used for business such as garages used for storage etc.

Someone can explain me about the permission etc please?
I am keeping one bedroom and storage room for keep stock, and I have idea to try buy a house little bit more big and keep stock in one room + studio for stuff and maybe the cheap stuff in the garden shed.
Do you think need ask some permission for it ?

Aug 6, 2015
It is important to be insured. The attitude "That cannot happen to me" actually doesn't work and just gives false confidence.